Popcorn Ceiling Removal Spokane, WA
A Dedicated Popcorn Ceiling Removal Company Serving Spokane WA, Homeowners
Textured ceilings were popular because they could absorb sound and reduce echoes. The look is almost non-existent in modern architecture since then. It’s still a common feature in many older homes. Popcorn ceilings are notoriously difficult to remove.
It might seem tempting to remove the mold yourself. However, this is a task best left to professionals. It is not only a difficult job but can also pose safety risks. There are some things to keep in mind when you finally remove the popcorn ceiling.
PROCESS FOR POPCORN & TEXTURED CEILING REMOVAL
We need to understand how to remove a popcorn ceiling or any other textured ceiling. The ceiling treatments were spray-on or painted-on and used white asbestos. However, after the 1970s, the texture was created using a Styrofoam or paper-based product. It can be difficult to remove depending on the type of material used.
One thing is certain when you remove any type of textured ceiling treatment. It will be a multi-step process. To give you an idea, we’ve listed the steps below.
POPCORN CEILING REMOVAL & PAINTING:
- Remove light fixtures and switches from the room.
- Due to the removal of sufficient residue, dust, and material all furniture and floors have been fully mask.
- Popcorn ceilings (unpainted stucco) are easier to remove because they only require a water-based solution that dissolves the stucco.
- Painting stucco takes more effort and can often require additional prep work due to the substrate being affected.
- The substrate will be removed and fully filled with a flattened material.
- Before applying the finish coat, new filling should be sanded down and primed.
- All material that has been removed will be vacuumed up and cleaned.
BENEFITS OF REMOVING POPCORN CEILING
Why should you bother to remove popcorn ceilings? It gives your home a modern and sleek look. It will make a huge difference in your home’s appearance. If you plan to sell your house soon, it’s a good idea for the owner to get rid of it. Buyers will be reluctant to take on a property they are going to have to renovate immediately.
The surface can yellow as they age from an aesthetic perspective. Water damage can also cause this. It’s best to remove the damage immediately, rather than attempting to paint it over.
POPCORN CEILING CONTAINING ASBESTOS
Before you begin the removal of your popcorn ceiling, here are some things you should consider. Some older homes may have popcorn ceilings that are lead or asbestos-containing. Before you start removing the popcorn ceilings from houses built before 1981, make sure it is checked for asbestos and lead.
The process can be made more difficult if asbestos or lead are present. This is where professionals with expertise in asbestos handling are required. You should take extra precautions as the dangers of breathing in asbestos dust can be severe. You will likely have to seal the room and not allow anyone in the room until all dust is gone.
REASONS FOR REMOVING A POPCORN CEILING
- Ceilings that have been updated instantly increase the value of your property.
- A smooth ceiling texture brings natural light into your living space.
- Flat ceilings are easy to clean and do not trap dust or allergens. Asthma symptoms can be aggravated by popcorn ceilings.
- Smooth ceilings texture finishes (knockdown, orange peel, etc.) A textured ceiling has a lower visual appeal.
GET IN TOUCH TODAY!
Let us know if you have popcorn ceilings you are ready to get rid of! Book a free, no obligation estimate for your interior painting job today. Give us a call at 1 888 969-1329, or visit our website.